Cover image: KEVIN LAMARQUE / REUTERS
- Moscow “continues to terrorize Ukraine” by his nocturnal attacks, accused Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday, announcing the destruction of thirty-six Russian drones overnight. “None of them achieved their goal”, he said. Since the beginning of May, Russia has stepped up its nighttime missile and drone attacks.
- The boss of Russia’s private Wagner militia, Yevgeny Prigozhin, said Thursday that his men have begun to hand over their positions in Bakhmout to regular Russian army troops. “By 1er June, most of [de nos unités] will relocate to rear bases. We hand over the positions to the military, the ammunition and everything that is there”did he declare. Mr. Prigojine claimed Saturday the capture of the city, epicenter of the fighting in the East.
- “Wagner’s units remain in the town of Bakhmout. Our soldiers control the Avion neighborhood in the southwestern suburbs”said Thursday a Ukrainian deputy defense minister, Hanna Maliar, still denies the total loss of the city.
- Russian diplomacy announced Thursday its decision to close, from 1er September, the Swedish Consulate General in Saint Petersburg and the Russian Consulate General in Gothenburg, Sweden. According to Moscow, this measure is a response to the “politics of confrontation” led by Stockholm. Also announced was the expulsion of five Swedish diplomatsfollowing a similar measure taken in April against Russian diplomats.
- Washington on Wednesday approved the sale of Nasams advanced surface-to-air missile systems to Ukraine for $285 million (265 million euros) to strengthen the country’s air defence. The US Congress has yet to give its authorization.
- Two Russian armed groups, fighting on the Ukrainian side, and who claimed responsibility for an incursion into a Russian border region on Monday, boasted on Wednesday of the ” hit “ of their operationwhich showed, according to them, the weakness of the Russian defenses. Moscow promised a response on Wednesday “extremely firm” in the event of new armed incursions.
Find our direct from yesterday by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Factual. With the Belgorod incursion, the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Freedom Legion of Russia want to prepare Putin’s downfall
Decoders. Khmelnytsky’s “radioactive cloud”, new infox from the Kremlin
Investigation. Igor Makarov, from Soviet cyclist to Russian Turkmen gas oligarch
Reporting. The Forges de Tarbes, which machine the shells of the Caesar guns, revived by the war in Ukraine
Reporting. On the Kherson front, reconnaissance and diversionary operations
Decryptions. How the Ukrainians “shape” the front before launching their counter-offensive
Factual. The incursion into Russian territory in the Belgorod region, an affront to Moscow
Video. Images of Bakhmout devastated by war
Factual. The answers of the “World” to your most frequently asked questions