Mar 9 (Reuters) – The Miami Open, which brings together the best tennis players in the world, will be played as scheduled within two weeks despite concerns about the coronavirus, organizers said Monday.
Comments on this tournament are given hours after the cancellation of Indian Wells at the last moment due to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus in southern California.
“The Miami 2020 Open progresses as scheduled, from March 23 to April 5,” organizers said in a statement.
“Security remains a priority, and we are monitoring the situation of COVID-19 with local, state and federal officials and health organizations in the period before the tournament.”
Last year’s Miami Open attracted almost 400,000 spectators.
Roger Federer, currently sidelined after having a knee surgery in February, won the men’s title in Miami for the fourth time last year, while Australia’s Ash Barty triumphed in the women’s event.
Throughout the world flights have been canceled, isolated communities and cruises and postponed concerts and fairs. Even the Tokyo Olympics could be at risk.
(Report by Frank Pingue in Toronto, additional report by Amy Tennery in New York; Edited in Spanish by Javier Leira)
Corresponsal de Argentina, Encargado de seleccionar las noticias más relevantes de su interés a nuestro sitio web NewsPer.com