PARIS, Mar 18 (Reuters) – The iconic Le Mans 24-hour race was postponed from June 13-14 to September 19-20 due to the coronavirus outbreak, organizers said on Wednesday.
“Deferring the 24 hours of Le Mans from the original dates in June is the most appropriate thing in the current exceptional circumstances,” President of the Automobile Club de L’Ouest (ACO), Pierre Fillon, said in a statement.
France responded to the pandemic on Tuesday by quarantining its 67 million people in an unprecedented act during peacetime.
Last year’s race, won by Toyota and a car in which the two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso was driving, was seen on the circuit by a crowd of 252,000 people.
(Report by Alan Baldwin in London; Edited in Spanish by Javier Leira)
Corresponsal de Argentina, Encargado de seleccionar las noticias más relevantes de su interés a nuestro sitio web NewsPer.com